What Is PWP?
PWP (Parents Without Partners, Inc.) was founded in 1957 as an all-volunteer singles organization. It is regulated by the IRS as a non-profit organization and is tax-exempt under Section 501(c)3 as an Educational organization. Its charter is to provide programs to meet the needs of single parents and their children. The purpose of the bylaws and rules that PWP has is to to maintain and protect the tax-exempt status, as well as the integrity of the organization.
PWP International is comprised of seven different zones that it oversees, six in the United States and one in Canada. There is also an affiliation with PWP Australia.
Each zone has individual chapters. The chapters are audited for compliance with PWP’s bylaws and rules by the zone committees. La Mirada-East Whittier is a chapter within Zone H.
Chapters are required to offer the events below monthly.
1. One, or more, Educational/Discussion activities.
2. One, or more, Family and Youth activities.
3. A General Membership meeting, a Calendar Planning meeting, and a Board of Directors meeting.
4. An Orientation meeting for prospective new members.
5. Be involved in the Community.
6. A chapter may have “Parent” (adult only) social events; however, the number may never exceed the number of “Discussion/Educational” or “Family and Youth” activities. (Alcohol is only permitted at “Parent” activities.)
7. Monthly newsletter.
At every meeting and activity, membership cards are to be shown and a sign-in sheet maintained.
If above requirements are too much, a chapter may downsize to become a “New Era Chapter”. “New Era Chapters’ are required to participate in Zone and National meetings and have the monthly events below.
1. A minimum of four meetings per month. Although all four meetings may be held on the same day at the same location, they must have different times. Types of meetings are Board of Directors, General Membership, Calendar Planning, Orientation for prospective new members (which may be done by appointment), and Educational Event.
2. The number of “Parent” (adult only) social events may not exceed number of Educational events.
3. No more than twelve “Parent” events per year.
4. Monthly newsletter.